I have been working lately at coming up with my life vision statement, inspired by the book Organized Simplicity and this post by Whitney. I didn’t get my vision statement as concise as I would like it and I am sure it will change and evolve over the next few years (because had I made one a few years ago it would have looked completely different). But for now my life vision statement is as follows . . .
I aim to bring glory to Christ in all I do by:
* investing in family and friends
* loving and serving in my community
* living simply
* being a life long learner
So how does that look in real life? I took some time to expand on each of my points a little.
INVESTING IN FAMILY AND FRIENDS
* being intentional with making time for family and friends
* having a home that is open and welcoming
* making sure to not over commit myself
* take time to cultivate deep relationships
* loving unconditionally
LOVING AND SERVING IN MY COMMUNITY
* getting to know my neighbors
* supporting local businesses
* motivating others
* advocating for justice
* growing what we can
* buying and living with less
BEING A LIFE LONG LEARNER
* reading lots
* being friends with people from around the world and taking the time to learn about their country
* exploring the world around me and afar
Making my life vision statement was really easy because I know what I value and the dreams I want to accomplish, creating one for our family has proven to be a bit harder because while Jared and I share the same core values we definitely differ in some ways, so we have not finalized a family vision statement.
I believe having this vision statement will be a huge help in life going forward, when opportunities arise I can just mentally check to see if they line up with my vision statement before agreeing or declining.
Do you have a life vision statement?
If so, I’d LOVE to hear it!